The Geological Society of London was founded in 1807. It is the UK national society for geoscience, and the oldest geological society in the world.
The Society is a Registered Charity and provides a wide range of professional and scientific support to over 10,000 Fellows (members), about 2000 of whom live overseas. More than 2000 Fellows are also Chartered Geologists.
As well as boasting one of the most important geological libraries in the world, the Geological Society is a global leader in Earth science publishing, and is renowned for its cutting edge science meetings. It is a vital forum in which Earth scientists from a broad spectrum of disciplines and environments can exchange ideas, and is an important communicator of geoscience to government, media, those in education and the broader public.
The Society is located at Burlington House, Piccadilly, which was developed by the government in the 19th Century as a meeting place for the arts and sciences. It shares the courtyard with the Royal Academy of Arts, the Royal Astronomical Society, the Society of Antiquaries of London, the Royal Society of Chemistry and the Linnean Society of London.